Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Those who wander are not always lost..

"Those who wander are not always lost" - J.R.R Tolkien

Today is the second day of my stay in Korea, Busan for my student exchange programme.
By not knowing a single soul in another town, I took a step of faith in a Sunday morning to look for a church service to attend.

Before my way out, I had looked up to the internet for the directions. I thought it would be easy since it's gonna be a church building, so I only recognize the station that I would exit and head out straight.

At SuYeong station, I stepped out happily and started to look for signs. However, things didnt went the way I expected. I started to panic when everything is in Korean and there is no notice about (AIM) the church.

After pacing front and back for several times, I keep reminiscing the verse that "those who seek for him, would not be lost but be found" in my heart. So then, I continued to walk cluelessly towards a market and ended up in a big building- SuYeong Presbyterian Church. From the choir to the service, everything is in Korean. I was trying to keep myself awake and just accept the fact that I landed in the church that I didnt expect to be in. Just then, my phone beeped me and it strucked me that there was WIFI! (Hurray to Korea, Land of wifi!!)

My GPS showed that AIM is only 150m away. I hurriedly Google it and rush to the next building. I was lost in that common building again and ended up in a dark carpark. No one understands (#MOLLA) me whenever I asked for directions. Till then theres a lady standing, so I approached her and she brought me in to the service. She was having a bad cough thats why she stood outside for a while. It may be a usual thing for her to be there, but to me it means alot and it is more than coincidence when Pastor Kim was preaching about my favorite verse. Jeremiah 29.



That moment, He just reminded me about the plan He(God) had for me 8 months ago. I felt so touched at that moment , to believe whatever He has for me is always the best. (This would revert to another topic on how I got to exchange programme) Well to cut the story short.. after church service, I was being hosted with very good hospitality by the College student's Bible group. They went out for lunch and this is what we had:

Gamjatang 감자탕 (Korean Pork Bone Soup) 


 My new friends, Igo from Russia, Jason and Justin. 

They have been very nice, even thought this is the first 5 minutes we met and they could not speak fluent English, but they put in effort to speak to me and Jason even treated us the lunch. Justin was working at a tourism center as a part time job, thats why he kept explaining to me things by giving out all the facts he known. I really appreciate that. The Church is so warm and welcoming, I will come back again soon! :)

So then, we bid each other goodbye and I thought my day was over. But no! The lady whom directed me to the Church service actually owns a cafe and she was very interested in Malaysia. Without hesitating, I followed her and she was shocked with me being so comfortable and my immediate decision in following her.

Kelly, is about 40 years old but she is as fit as a 30 year old. She brought me around the city area and visited her place. The cafe is one years old and she was being so friendly by serving me Bingsu, drinks and showing me all her artworks. After awhile, her student came and I was shocked when he revealed that Kelly was actually 57 years old and he was 40+ years old. Both of them are twice my age, but we just chat along like friends. It's amazing how we could read Chinese characters (hanja한자) and talk about each other's culture for hours. Also, we turned to the Bible and read it in Korean. The whole atmosphere and environment was nice. I just didnt want to leave.


Reading the word together. Jeremiah 29

Writing our names in Hanja 한자


Until the sky turns dark, we closed the shop and her student decided to bring me for local food. So they actually surprised me with this!


삼겹살 Korean Pork Belly BBQ
This is really delicious and they kept ordering food for me. They BBQ-ed the meat for me and keep showering food into my bowl. During the meal, they joked that they both are like my parents. It felt so homely and fond to them. She told me to not be afraid, because we are all brother and sisters in Christ. I am really touched by their actions. They even sent me back till my doorstep and promise to see me again soon.

It had been a long day, and I felt very blessed by all these big family. I hope another day I could take another adventure, and meet new things again everyday. Thank God for the day, its very touching and hopeful.










1 comment:

Tan Soo Chin said...

Wonderful experiences money can't buy n not many can have them too.Praise the Lord!

Hello!

Rumbling between imaginations and thoughts