For the UTARians that are interested in student exchange programme, as you all know I am now having mine at Korea,Busan.
After getting so many questions, I took the time to think deeper and write this blogpost with advice and some minor encounters so that you could consider to take note when its your turn! =)
| Lets go! 가자! |
All these written are solely based on my own experience. Some advice may not be applicable to your choice of country and university. However in the later post I would specify mostly in Korea's uni apparently as I am having my exchange here.. Its still very generic until you talk to the adviser.
Hope I am able to help you and able to trigger your senses to make this move in experiencing a new world [[as a student]] :)
Honestly, the headache part of exchange program is to consider many items and make consents between you, your parents, UTAR and the exchange university and the following country...
Least you forget, your wallet's ability!
![]() |
| You will have a upset wallet, but dont forget; money and experience is incomparable! |
Here are some questions you may ponder on
(sequence may vary) :
1. You
Are you willing to give up on your comfortable study life?
For me, the tough decision is to part with my consistent assignment member, friends and to graduate later than them. The good news is, you can overcome this if you go for an exchange all together, or plan your course earlier and transfer your credit to graduate the same time.
For me, the tough decision is to part with my consistent assignment member, friends and to graduate later than them. The good news is, you can overcome this if you go for an exchange all together, or plan your course earlier and transfer your credit to graduate the same time.
How does this affects your future academic?
Do you have the physical and mental strength to stay away from home?
Here we are speaking about new environment, to live with other exchange students, encounter new food and culture. This may be a chance to stay independent as well.
Here we are speaking about new environment, to live with other exchange students, encounter new food and culture. This may be a chance to stay independent as well.
What kind of experience you are seeking for?
This would help you in selecting your uni and country.
This would help you in selecting your uni and country.
2. You and your parents
Even if you approved all of the above, are your parents supportive towards your decision?
If not, you may list a list of benefits on the exchange programme to convince them. The serious matter with parents is about safety&monetary issues. It depends, as every parent functions distinctively. For my case its easy to get consentment because my parents are good enough to trust my decision. But I trust you know your parents best, you sure know how to tackle them!
#goodluck #especiallymumsaremoreparanoid
If not, you may list a list of benefits on the exchange programme to convince them. The serious matter with parents is about safety&monetary issues. It depends, as every parent functions distinctively. For my case its easy to get consentment because my parents are good enough to trust my decision. But I trust you know your parents best, you sure know how to tackle them!
#goodluck #especiallymumsaremoreparanoid
3. UTAR
a. FACULTY
Its important to consult your course structure with your head of department to discuss what are the credit transfers available and to plan out when you will graduate.
Take note that, you CANT have your student exchange at the last semester. You must have at least one semester at UTAR after the exchange.
a. FACULTY
Its important to consult your course structure with your head of department to discuss what are the credit transfers available and to plan out when you will graduate.
Take note that, you CANT have your student exchange at the last semester. You must have at least one semester at UTAR after the exchange.
b. Division of Community and International Networking ←
This is where you consult and apply for the program.
This is where you consult and apply for the program.
The PIC is Miss Olive. Make sure you consult her and make your application 6 months earlier.
Before this I was naive enough to think that its an immediate thing to apply and go.
There are so many things to consider!
Before this I was naive enough to think that its an immediate thing to apply and go.
There are so many things to consider!
Do some research on the unis, whether compatible to your course and interest.
For application, they will require your CGPA and GPA.
Make sure your results are good enough for the exchange programme. For my case I was slightly under the requirement, but then I believe its God blessing for me to get this opportunity.
There will be a painful moment, which is the selection process.
For application, they will require your CGPA and GPA.
Make sure your results are good enough for the exchange programme. For my case I was slightly under the requirement, but then I believe its God blessing for me to get this opportunity.
There will be a painful moment, which is the selection process.
Round 1; Selection among Utar students, if you pass this. Congratulations but its not over yet.
Round 2; Go international where the Uni you applied for will again select you among students all over the world!
(Can you feel so much pain behind this, T.T )
Round 2; Go international where the Uni you applied for will again select you among students all over the world!
After being selected by the University #congrats
You are already half way there!
1. Documentations
UTAR
- Division of International Networking
- There will be some documents that you need to sign for Miss Olive and submit to her. Its very easy. Just keep updating her and submit to her whatever she requires.
- I contact Miss Olive mostly through email.
- Faculty
- Leave of absent to your faculty,
- Credit transfers procedure. If you have a credit transfer you may have to go through more process. I didn't went through that, so couldn't advise on that.
OTHERS
- VISA
- THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, as I had gotten my notice real late from Miss Olive. I was in a very hurry when completing the Visa, 1 week before flying to Korea. The late notice had caused so much problem to my father.
- For Korea Agency:
- Student Visa Application@Korean Embassy (Some items here are needed for Miss Olive too, so just check it out )Students should apply for student visa, either single or multiple entry. If you are not travelling to other country during your stay in Korea, you may apply for single entry visa.Documents required for student visa application are:1) Completed application form (download at mys.mofa.go.kr)2) One recent passport-sized photo3) Original passport and its photocopy (main page only)4) Admission documents from Korean university (original and photocopy)
- including Certificate of Admission5) Letter from current university to verify student status (Please approach your FGO to apply for letter of student status)6) Certificate of Scholarship (original and photocopy) OR Personal bank statements for the latest 3 months, duly certified by bank, with balance not less than RM10,000 or amount stated in the Certificate of Admission, whichever is higher- if using parents' bank statements, please include copy of parents' IC and copy of student's birth certificate7) Flight itinerary8) Application fee max RM297, cashAdditional documents may be requested upon assessment.Application must be submitted over the counter at the Embassy between 8:30-11:30am Monday-Friday (except public holidays).Processing takes at least 3 working days. - Plane ticket
- Insurance
- Some universities will offer this, however its better to get yourself well covered.
- Banking/Monetary
- Dont forget to enable your bank cards available for international banking
2. Packing
Besides the generic stuff, there are a list of things that I would recommend to bring! :)
In other words, these are the things I regret not bringing.
- Extra Passport Photos for School ID and Alien(Foreign) Card registration.
- I only brought 1, so forced to spend RM20 extra for photos >.<
- Photocopy of Passport, Insurance, ID etc.
- Pants with wide pocket! Its easy to travel around handsfree!
- Monopod for #selfies! Because you will have alot of friends you would want to fit in a photo when taking photos!
- Souvenir: Something that signifies Malaysia. Could be a sweet, keychain or something local to share around. Its very interesting and valuable when brought to another country!
- Good pair of shoes! Here, you wont be having cars and transportation. The thing that will bring you far is your shoe. Make sure to invest in a good one.
- Chili sauce, Maggi, Milo... Malaysian food. You will miss it once you are at somewhere else. Could be a good snack for supper as well.
- Adapter: There are different voltage and plugs for different places. Check it online and Bring some before your battery drains out!
KOREA:
- Recycle bag/ Shopping Bag. In Korea, they organize their wastage very carefully and dont give out plastic often. It would be great to bring along.
- Toiletries surprisingly, make ups are cheaper than toiletries in Korea. Especially for girls, sanitary pads. Its about twice cheaper in Malaysia.
I would also recommend a good camera. Even though I am not very good in photography. But it saves the phone battery and comes in handy when traveling in the country you visit.
| Cheonggyecheon River, Seoul. Taken by me! |
Okayyy, I hope this blog is able to help you, I took much time to write this even though I just came back from Seoul. As I think this is really a very meaningful milestone in my life, I wish everyone whom have the chance will not reject rather pursue it. There are many people whom asked me the details but gave up half way because they are not wiling to take further the risk. I say, go for it!
I will be more than wiling to answer you if you have more question! Just leave a message for me!
Good luck.
Before ending , I will just want to encourage you with this song lyrics:
You'll never fly, if you're too scared of the height
You'll never live if you're just too scared to die
Everybody wants heaven... I know
But darling freedom ain't free, its a long road
You'll never find your place up there in the sky...
If you never say goodbye.
-Hardwell,Never Say Goodbye-
Signing off,
Joie

2 comments:
Hi, Wendy's here.
Any ways I can contact you? I would like to know more regarding the student exchange program though:) Your help will be very much appreciated:)
hi, i just saw your comment. I hope it's not too late. You may email me at tanxiunian@hotmail.com :)
Post a Comment