Saturday, April 5, 2014

Tuesdays with Morrie


Among the 11 books I had bought with my BB1M, Tuesday with Morrie by Mitch Albom was my final pick only after I scanned through a few lines and the back cover. However, surprisingly it was a good read and it caught me teared up for a few times, especially the ending.

This best-seller book touches on a dying man teaching his student on the subject of death, how our society is plague and how we could form our culture to live a more meaningful life. 

Mitch, who was the student of Morrie at his young age in sociology class had graduated and then lead his life as a successful journalist. After leaving everything behind for 16 years, he got to know about his beloved former teacher Morrie dying of a disease through a TV show. 

Since then, Mitch had committed Morrie his visit every Tuesday to continue about their subject about life. The 14 chapter talks about family love, acceptance, communication, love, values, openness, and happiness, death and so on. 

What I learned throughout my study of this book is about being present to others. Just like how Morrie is committed to listening to others even with his final days. He would just pays the attention that every soul seeks for. Perhaps this is the kind of company that everyone years for. It really strikes me, as I would always offer myself to be a listener of my friends but ending up thinking of something else."I am here with you and thinking of you, not thinking of what we had said last week or what medications I would take later. I am here, thinking of you". Attention and patience is the key to being a good listener.

Throughout their lesson, Mitch had questioned Morrie about the other values that had been scrapped by the popular culture nowadays. He even emphasize on the importance of family and having children. At Morrie's young age, he had gone through alot of bitterness that actually led him in living a fulfilling life later. He has a strong character. If you read this book you will surely be compelled by lots of his teaching and the way he looks at life.

It may sound like a book revolving over life lessons and chapters, but I really enjoyed the book by the way Mitch pictured it and the analogy he used. This book will change your perspective of life and relationships. If you would like to borrow this book, please do not ever hesitate to ask me. I am more than willing to! :)  

Oh ya, if you don't like reading books, perhaps you could copy the movie from me!

Guess this is how I spend my Friday night and Saturday morning.
Have a nice day ahead~

No comments:

Hello!

Rumbling between imaginations and thoughts