[Spoiler Ahead]
So only read the summary if you are never interested in watching the movie, but I do reckon you to do so! :)
Well, I'll keep it as simple.
The story is setting in a near future whereas people are divided into factions, and there is no turning back after your choice.
Abnegation, the selfless
Candor, the honest
Amity, the peaceful
Erudite, the intelligent
Dauntless, the brave
“Future belongs to those who truly know where they belong.”
During the training period, Tris was being called a stiff and almost fell off the chart. During the test of being an official dauntless member, her results had almost threaten her of being categorized as a faction less.
Since then, she strive hard and climb her impossible way up to be above the dead line.
![]() |
| "Fear doesn't shut you down; it wakes you up. I've seen it. It's fascinating." - Four |
Four had taught Tris the way of living as a dauntless member, they fallen in love and in the end they fought against the evil authority that threaten their origin faction (Abnegation) and continue their journey in finding the others of their own kind, Divergent.
The Metaphor and Reflections
Basically there are 2 main things that I had reflected through this movie, is about finding yourself and not afraid to be it, also to not fear on any circumstances, even when death is your threat.
The metaphor of this movie that I seen on my own view,
Faction, could be viewed as talents and personalities
Divergent, rather than being seen as a threat to the society, has been seen as an unusual person. "weirdo"
In the movie, Tris was feeling out of place and lost as she could not find an answer on who is the real her. She is being called something rare and she long the society to give her an answer about who she is. However, throughout her disguise of being a dauntless member, through her bravery and obstacles she found out who she really is. In the end, she accepted it and moved on.
![]() |
| Get your test results too! :P http://divergentthemovie.com/aptitudetest |
This movie is in a little extreme, as I believe everyone is multitalented and have personalities.
The thing I wanted to point out is the sense of finding yourself and accepting it.
Throughout these years, I've being doubtful towards myself and have lack of confidence. I couldn't really find out what I really am. Filled with divided personalities, sometimes the careless devil in me awakes; sometimes I'm an angel of my friendly and creative thoughts. I admire others for their distinct talents. I admire others whom they know who they really are and they are just so confident about it. My mum used to describe me as "10 blunt swords", it's actually a chinese saying that talents are not sharpen in any specific way like a sword should have been. My thoughts and talents are scattered. There is nothing I could pick of the best out of myself. Manicure, Origami, Baking, Dancing, Sewing, Sports, Academic.. My results are stagnant and there is always someone better than me, putting me into the mindset that I'm not ever going to be in the frontline of anything..
![]() |
| Blunt swords? |
The most important thing is to accept ourselves this way, to not fear it and live it. Be proud of who we are.
Keep striving Divergents!




No comments:
Post a Comment