Monday, November 14, 2016

#2 Month in Canada: Updates & Brand New Encounters


Hello!
Hello friends, 

Time has passed in a blink of an eye! It's been 2 months since I am in Canada. The people, the scenery and job here is keeping me happy. I have sufficient food, personal space and time to discover myself. Even though I miss home alot, yet I am very contented with the experience given here.

I have encountered several events in Canada that we can't find in Malaysia. Through this blog post I would like to share these with you. Hopefully you can have a glimpse of my experience in maple land from 15,000km away.


1. Timber Sports
I was watching the sports channel one day, the TV was airing The Stihl Timbersports Series is a series of woodsman or wood chopping competitions where the athletes compete in the use of axes and saws in manners typical for lumberjacks. (Source: Wikipedia) There are participants from NZ, Canada and Aus. Knowing that this is a professional sports, I was watching in awe. My expressions changed into a laughter when I heard the commentator howling at the macho guy, who was furiously swinging his saw against the timber : "Oh my gosh! Look at him, slicing timber like butter!" haha, it was really fun to watch. I do hope they make good use of the wood.

2. Daylight saving time. ( 6 NOV 2016)


On the November the 6th, everyone is required to turn their clocks  to an hour earlier. This concept is to bring spring forward and fall back in time. 

"Daylight time was first enacted in Germany in 1915, then quickly adopted by Britain and much of Europe and Canada. Because the sun shone for a time while most people were still asleep in the morning, it was reasoned that light could be better used during the day. The solution was to push the clocks ahead one hour in springtime, forcing people to wake an hour earlier. They would therefore expend less energy trying to light their homes, for instance, if time were adjusted to suit their daily patterns.

When the days started getting shorter in the fall and people awoke to increasing darkness, the clocks were turned back an hour to get more light in the morning." (cbc, 2016) According to what I read in Facebook, most people are opposing this. I can understand their sentiment because it's troublesome, however I agree that extending day light improves efficiency.

3. Remembrance day (11 NOV 2016)

As Malaysia is not directly involved in the first Word War, the poppy movement is not widely known. I knew only a little about it before coming to Canada through the book "The Poppy" by Nicholas J Saunders. The poppy flower has became a worldwide icon to commemorate the war veterans. Most people wear the flower on their chest and you can see donation boxes in public places to raise funds for the veterans. The quote "Lest We Forget." is widely mentioned on this day.

Image Source: Global Research

4. Driving in Canada

One word: "Thrilling". As if driving on the other side of the road is not bad enough, it was snowing so heavily. You can check out the video my friend compiled: https://www.instagram.com/p/BL4C-K6jbCL/  Thankfully, the view compensates all of the tiredness.

Bumped into a few of big horn sheep.

That's all for now. Thank you for the well wishes and I look forward to share my experience with you again.



No comments:

Hello!

Rumbling between imaginations and thoughts